LOW LEVEL LASER THERAPY
What is Photobiomodulation?
The use of various wavelengths of light or laser light to influence biological responses, cellular health, healing and the immune system. The ideal "optical window" (or range of light wavelengths) is 600-1200nm - our Laser light is 1064nm.
Light can be delivered by laser diodes, light emitting diodes, or specific laser wavelengths, however researchers view the delivery of light via laser as being more powerful and effective. Pulsed light is also though to be more effective.
Often called Low Level Laser therapy, or phototherapy.
What about your Low Level Laser?
Our laser fulfils all the ideal criteria and additionally is comfortable with no down time. You just walk in and walk out.
How does Low Level Laser Therapy work?
The light is attracted to cytochrome c oxidase (Cox) which sits in the mitochondrial electron transport chain inside cells. Mitochondria are the cells' energy factories. Increased Cox activity stimulates production of ATP which is a unit of energy. Thus, increased energy means the cells work more effectively to do what they need to do. There are other suspected actions as well but these have not yet been identified.
What are the actions of Low level Laser Therapy?
- stimulates cell growth
- Increases cell metabolism
- Improves cell regeneration
- Invokes an anti-inflammatory response
- Promotes edema reduction (reduces swelling)
- Reduces fibrous tissue formation
- Increases collagen production
- Stimulates acupuncture meridians
- Improves immune system function
- Improves production of RNA and DNA for the cells
- Increases enzyme activity in cells
- stimulates long term production of nitric oxide
- decreases the formation of bradikynin, histamine, and acetylcholine - these are all inflammatory messengers
- stimulates the production of endorphins (natural morphine like substances)
- Increases superoxide dismutase (SOD) which is a powerful natural antioxidant
- Stimulates reduction of substance P (a pain messenger)
- All of these activities allow more efficient healing as well as a reduction of pain and inflammation
Which conditions can be treated?
- Temporo Mandibular Joint Dysfunction - Jaw joint problems
- Repair of damaged nerves
- Wound healing
- Scar reduction
- Non healing ulcers
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Muscle sprains / bruises
- Tendonitis - shoulder, elbow, wrist
- Neck and low back pain
- Tennis / golfers elbow
- Soft tissue injuries
- Pain reduction
- Mucositis - inflamed mucous membranes after chemotherapy/ radiotherapy
- Chronic Sinusiitis
Therapeutic potential in these conditions according to researchers:
- Alzheimer's disease
- Parkinsons Disease
- Traumatic Brain injury
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Preconditioning in ischaemic heart disease
- Memory, learning
Where should low level laser therapy NOT be used?
- With light-sensitive patients
- Over the thyroid gland
- Over children's joints that are still growing
What does a treatment involve?
Visits are every 5-7 days until the problem resolves. It can take 1-5 visits depending on the problem.
Download an overview of the benefits of laser therapy as a PDF
Depending on the situation, a medical consultation will first be needed to decide on management. This may either be a detailed medical consultation - see consulting with Dr Pitsilis Or a brief consultation with Dr Pitsilis depending on your problems.
If you are uncertain, you can use this link to ask which type of appointment you need.